Thursday, November 6, 2008

How's This for a "Kick Save?"


Star goalie's best save

Justin Pogge is a star hockey goalie today because his mother could not bring herself to kill him in the womb by committing suicide.

“The greatest kick-save that Justin Pogge ever made” occurred even before he was born. When Annet Pogge, at 22-years-old, was about four months’ pregnant with him, she very nearly committed suicide in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Earlier, at a party to announce their engagement, Pogge’s fiancĂ© had responded to the news of her pregnancy by wanting nothing more to do with her. “He walked out on me right then and there,” she said, “leaving me with 126 guests to explain things to.”

Confused and in despair, Pogge contemplated throwing herself off a bridge when what she calls a miracle occurred. “Just when I was thinking of doing it,” she said, “when I was thinking of terminating everything, not just the pregnancy, but me, I felt a kick. It was the first real sign of life. And I remember thinking, ‘This is a sign. God wants me to live.’ I couldn’t end my life then. I couldn’t.”

Justin has had great success as a goalie. In the 2006 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships
Pogge helped team Canada
to an unexpected gold medal defense of their prior championship. Justin received the team Most Valuable Player (MVP) award. He is currently with the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League and played in the League's 2008 Calder Cup playoffs.

No comments: