Wednesday, November 19, 2008

So now we have yet another "protest-ant" denomination: The Church of Maria Shriver!


The First Lady of California, and wife of the Governator, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has proudly proclaimed herself to be "Cafeteria Catholic!" How nice! (See here.)

Maria states, “I start every one of my days praying.” “I go to church every week. I went to Catholic schools my entire life.” Sounds good so far!

However, when asked about the teachings of that same Catholic Church, she shows her true colors by stating, “I pick and choose… I think I’m probably a ‘Cafeteria Catholic.’” Asked to explain her personal differences of opinion with the Church, she gladly adds, “I don’t believe that if someone’s divorced they shouldn’t get Communion; I don’t believe that people who are gay shouldn’t be accepted into the Church; I’m pro-choice, I believe women should have that right; and, women should have a larger role in the Catholic Church.” (Funny thing here is that she shows that she doesn't even know the Church's teachings on some of these topics and likely would not disagree if she took the time to learn them. Hmmm, brings back memories of Pelosi who claims to have "studied" the issue of abortion from the Catholic Church's perspective for "a long time" and still got it terribly wrong!)

So lets hand her a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and let her tear out the pages with which she disagrees. We'll then rename it the "Catechism of the church of Maria Shriver," not the one that Christ himself founded mind you! As a matter of fact, let's each do that! This could be fun! We'll each have our own catechism and our very own church! Woo hoo!

So where would that get each one of us in terms of eternity? I seem to recall that Christ didn't teach us to ignore the one true Church that He established on earth and go forward and create our individual, personal church! It completely misses His point of gathering up ALL of the faithful into His ONE BODY to be offered back to the Father to show our love for Him!

Sorry, gotta go now. So many decisions to make! "What shall I call MY church?" "Where should the tabernacle go so that it's not in the way of the dancers?" "Will the priestesses' pink chasibules clash with the fuscia pottery that we'll use for the grape juice and focaccia bread?" "Should the communion crew include only one of each category (gay, lesbian, straight, post-abortive, adulterer, divorcee) or two from each?" So much to do . . . so little time.

No comments: